The new Istanbul Airport, whose first part of first phase is complete, represents the largest infrastructure project of Turkey. The airport will be fully operational from 6th April with all the existing flight operations moved from Ataturk Airport.
I have visited the new Istanbul Int'l Airport just 2 days before full operation starts. It took about 40 minutes by taxi from Ataturk Airport (Cost 190 TL). There are good highways linking between the airport to the rest of the road networks.
- Total Project Area: 76.5 million m2
- Project Investment Cost: 10.2 Billion Euros
- Airport Opening Date: 10.29.2018
- The section that will start operating in 2018: Phase 1A
- Phase 1A Areas: Main terminal building of 1.4 million m2, 2 runways, ATC Tower and support buildings
- Air Traffic Control Tower: 5.000 m2, 90 meters high (Designed by AECOM and Pininfarina, inspired by the tulip figure)
- Annual Passenger Capacity: 90 million passenger capacity annually in Phase-1.
Main Terminal Building
- Main Terminal Building Size: 1.4 million m2
- Duty Free Zone: 55.000 m2 (To be managed by Unifree, the subsidairy of Heinemann Group in Turkey)
- Food & Beverage Area: 32.000 m2
- Private Passenger Lounges: 22.000 m2
- Ticket Sale Offices: 2.500 m2
- Retail Area: 10.000 m2
- Check-in Points: 566 Units
- Number of LET (Lifts, Escalators and Travelators): 665 Units
- Passport Control Points: 228 Units
- Terminal Entry Gates: 7 Units
- Waiting Chairs: 20.000 Units
- Number of Passenger Boarding Bridges: 143
- Total Aircraft Parking Position: 371
- Length of Baggage Conveyor: 42 km
There are dedicated check-in for Turkish Airlines Business Class and its elite frequent flyers. Use door 5 to arrive and walk straight ahead to aisle L for priority check-in counters. There are fast track immigration and security screening in close distance.
In the center of the main terminal building, you can find a large "Istanbul" sign just in front of International departure.
We will review the Turkish Airlines domestic and international lounges next week.
Share with me some of your travel experience of the new Istanbul Airport in the comment section!
For more information of the new airport, please visit the airport website.