Update: (5pm GMT August 5th)
Strike action at Heathrow on August 5th and 6th has been called off after the airport group and the union Unite reached a deal over pay.
Fearing a strike on Tuesday August 6th, some airlines had cancelled flights - Heathrow has advised passengers to check whether those services will now go ahead.
On Sunday evening, when the first day of industrial action was suspended for Monday August 5th, a number of airlines chose to reinstate flights.
In total 16 cancelled flights on Monday, August 5th.
Members of Unite will now have the chance to consider and vote an a new pay package.
Unite said that the strikes already announced for 23 August and 24 August "remained on the table until the result of the ballot was known".
A spokesman for Heathrow said: "Unite will now take an improved offer to its members and we remain hopeful that we can find a resolution and stop this disruptive and unnecessary threat of strike action."
London Heathrow airport staff are set to strike on August 5th and 6th, unless an agreement over pay is accepted before then or the strike is called off.
British Airways have released travel advice and re-booking guidelines for passengers set to travel on BA operated short-haul flights from London Heathrow on August 5th and 6th. You can also access BA’s page for strike information here.
- The number of security lanes will be reduced. Fast Track and The First Wing will be closed. We expect that it will take longer than usual to pass through security, so please arrive in good time.
- You’ll only be allowed to take one small personal item of hand baggage that can fit under the seat in front of you. Any additional items of hand baggage must be checked in.
- We are expecting to transport more checked bags than usual, so where possible, please consolidate your belongings and keep the number of checked bags to a minimum.
British Airways allows potentially affected passengers to re-book their travels between August 1st – 12th from Heathrow, excluding the strike dates. Passengers can also fly from London City or Gatwick on the same dates without exclusions.
If you are booked to travel on a British Airways operated short haul flight from London Heathrow on 5th or 6th August, you can re-book onto an alternative British Airways operated flight in the same cabin.
You can re-book to travel from:
- London Heathrow (LHR) on any available dates between 1st and 12th August 2019, excluding 5th or 6th August.
- London Gatwick (LGW) or London City (LCY) on any available dates between 1st and 12th August 2019.
Heathrow Ground staff are also planning to strike on August 23rd and 24th.