IHG Rewards has just launched another great promotion for buying points. Through 27th February, members can purchase points with a 75% bonus. You simply have to buy 15,000 or more IHG points to get your 75% bonus points.
Take note that there are three pricing tiers in this promotion:
- 1,000-4,000 points: No bonus
- 5,000-14,000 points: 50% bonus
- 15,000+ points: 75% bonus
|Points||US cent per point|
|1k to 4k points (no bonus)||1.35|
|5k + 50% bonus points to|
14k + 50% bonus points
|15k + 75% bonus points to|
150k + 75% bonus points
Hence, to get the most out of this promotion, make sure you purchase at least 15k base points to purchase each point at its lowest cost (0.571 US cent per point). Although this promotion does not offer the historical best rate, you should still consider buying these points.
Why Should You Buy IHG Points?
1) IHG PointsBreaks Promotion – Starting From 5,000 IHG points ($28USD For a Hotel Room per Night)
IHG often run PointsBreaks to redeem for a night as little as 5,000 IHG points. At this rate, you can snag PointBreaks hotels for as little as $28. Yes, you can score a hotel for just $28, no gimmicks! There are also PointsBreaks that require 10,000 and 15,000 IHG points; your effective cost per night staying at these properties will be $57 and $86 respectively, per night.
For example, Holiday Inn Express Canton – Potsdam (New York), now listed under PointBreaks hotels, is retailing at $106+ tax per night. This property, under PointBreaks, can be redeemed for 10,000 points per night, which means it will cost you $57 for a night’s stay if you buy the IHG points and use them for redemption.
Click here for a complete list of PointsBreaks hotel.
Click here to buy IHG Points.
2) Last Minute Redemption Deals
Often during my travels, I have booked hotels at the last minute and the price has been high. Here is a good scenario where using points may have actually been cheaper. For example, a stay at The InterContinental London Park Lane cost $655. You could use 50,000 IHG points to redeem your stay, which would cost you just $285 + $139 tax.
Click here to purchase IHG points.
As a general rule of thumb, I advise you to make a comparison between the selling price of your desired hotel and the cost of redemption (stated redemption rate * 0.571 US cent) before you make a points purchase.
How to Buy Points
- Visit IHG’s Buy Points link.
- Enter your name, IHG Rewards Club number, PIN and email address to log in.
- Select the number of points you want to purchase.
- Enter your credit card information and billing address and click Continue.
- Confirm the details, check the box to agree to the Terms and Conditions and click “Pay Now.”