To push the cost to its lowest, you need to buy at least 150,000 miles in order to purchase at the rate of 1.78 US cents/mile (Max: 270,000 AAdvantage Miles for $4,794.50).
Things to Note Before You Purchase Miles
- American Airlines did not indicate an end date for this promotion. This is the first time it has happened.
- AAdvantage accounts must be more than 29 days old.
- A maximum of 150,000 miles can be purchased per calendar year in any one account.
Should I Buy Miles Now?
|Period||US Cents Per Mile|
|March to April 2019||1.92|
From the table above, you probably would have come to the conclusion that the rate now is on the lower end. At 1.78 US cent per mile, you can get a cheap First/Business Class ticket:
- One way between US and Asia on Cathay Pacific Business Class for 70,000 miles ($1,246)
- One way between US and Middle East on Qatar Airways Business Class for 70,000 miles ($1,246)
- One way between Europe and Middle East on Qatar Airways Business Class for 42,500 miles ($756)
- One way between Asia and Middle East on Etihad First Class for 50,000 miles ($890)
To find out more redemption opportunities, you may check out the American Airlines redemption charts for Oneworld and partner airlines here. If you prefer to fly with American Airlines, you can click here for their redemption chart.
At 1.78 US cent per mile, you should consider purchasing these miles as the price is on the lower end. You can secure cheap First/Business Class tickets, especially when compared to the conventional way of booking a revenue ticket directly.
Do note that it will be American Airlines that will be processing this transaction. It is advisable to use a credit card that gives you good miles for airfare purchases.