A Korean Air Airbus A330 suffered a runway excursion after landing at Cebu international airport in bad weather.
The aircraft (HL7525, MSN219) was operating flight KE631 from Seoul Incheon to Cebu.
Korean Air says it is investigating the incident, noting that the aircraft landed in bad weather conditions. Korean Air said there are no injuries or casualties.
According to flight tracking data, the aircraft took off from Seoul at around 19:20 local time. It appeared to have attempted landing twice, before suffering the runway excursion on its third attempt at around 23:08 local time.
Meteorological information from Cebu indicates there were thunderstorms at the time of the incident. Airport operations have since been suspended, according to Lapu-Lapu City’s disaster risk reduction management office chief Nagiel Banacia. Some flights to Cebu are returning to their origin or are diverting to Davao.
Korean Air has published below external communication regarding the incident:
- There were no injuries and all passengers safely evacuated the aircraft.
- The aircraft attempted to land twice in poor weather, and on the third attempt overran the runway.
- Passengers have been escorted to three local hotels and an alternative flight is being arranged.
- We are currently identifying the cause of the incident.
1. Date/Time: October 23, 2022, 23:07 (Philippines Local Time)
2. Fleet Type: A330-300
3. Flight Number / Route: KE631, Departing from Incheon to Cebu
- Expected Arrival Time: 22:00 (Local Time)
- Actual Arrival Time: 23:07 (Local Time)
4. Location: Mactan-Cebu International Airport (CEB)
5. Status of Passenger and Crew
- Number of Crew: 11
- Number of Passengers: 162
6. Flight stage: During landing
Cover Photo: via Twitter