Sam Chui Travel Highlight
Last Update: June 2016
NUMBER OF FLIGHT SECTORS: 1360
TOTAL FLYING TIME: 5933.20 Hours
TOTAL NUMBER OF MILES FLOWN: 2,738,988 Miles
TOTAL NUMBER OF CARRIERS FLOWN: 169
LONGEST FLIGHT (TIME): 18:30 hrs SQ22 SIN-EWR
LONGEST FLIGHT (DISTANCE): 9,534 Miles SQ22 SIN-EWR
Favourite Aircraft: B747
Fastest speed and highest altitude flown: 58000 ft and Mach 2.0 on Concorde
My Travel Map
Middle East and Africa
- 2nd Oct 1996, typhoon in Hong Kong, onboard a Malaysian B737-400 unable to land at Kai Tak, diverted to KHH and MNL overnight, twice go around in buildup Kai Tak under lightning sky!
- 20th Jan 2000, joy flight of Ansett B747-400 VH-ANA, cruising at 2000-5000 ft in Sydney area, celebrating Sydney Airport 80th Annivesary!
- 3rd June 2002, onboard TG993 from Bangkok to Sydney, passed 1000 flying hours as a passenger!
- 18th July 2002, onboard AR1182 from Buenos Aires to Auckland, passed 500,000 accumulated flying miles!29th Nov 2002, first time in First Class “sleeper suites” onboard UA816 from Sydney to Los Angeles, over 8 hour of sweet dream @ 33000ft!
- 2nd Dec 2002, special permission photography flight over Marana-Pinal Air Park, AZ and Davis Monthan, (ARMAC). Chartered Cessna 172 N3532T.
- 17th April 2003, first time flew on supersonic Concorde from JFK-LHR, 58000ft and Mach 2.0 (reached fastest speed at 1390MPH one stage). Was worth every cent of the money paid!
- 2004 May, on a special trip to Iran, first time flew on B707-300, A310-200, A300B2, TU154M aircraft and later to Indonesia, first time flew on brand new A340-500 of Singapore Airlines from CGK-SIN.
- 2004 June, first time surfing the internet inflight @ FL350 brought by Boeing Connexion onboard LH 453 from LAX to MUC.
- 24th July 2004, onboard JQ319 B717 from Sydney to Melbourne Avalon, passed 2000 flying hours as a passenger.
- Sept 2004, on a special trip to Russia, first time flew on IL62, IL86, Tu134, Tu154B2, Yak40 soviet built aircraft, many unique experience!
- 8th Oct 2004, onboard MH373 from Beijing to Kuala Lumpur, passed 1,000,000 flying miles as passenger!
- 2004 December, first time flew on An-24, YS-11, B747-100B (SUD), B747-300M, B747-SR aircraft in Japan and Thailand.
- April 2005, last minute decision onboard United/Lufthansa travelling 33+hours from SYD-LAX-MUC-TLS (Toulouse , France) to observe the Airbus A380 maiden flight.
- July 2005, onboard Thai Sky Airlines L1011 jumpseat BKK-KUL-BKK. Amazing Experience!
- 20 Dec 2005, flying Cessna 172 N19674, declare an emergency due to fuel shortage onboard, landed Rwy 25L of Phoenix Sky Harbour Int’l safely.
- 23 Sept 2006, onboard Emirates A340-500 luxurious First Class Suite Sydney to Christchurch FL410.
- 24 Sept 2006, onboard Emirates B777-300/ER First Class Auckland to Sydney, passed 3000 flying hours as a passenger.
- 22 Nov 2006, onboard Embraer EMB-190 jet from Sydney to Sydney. A/C operated as media demonstration flight for Virgin Blue Airlines.
- 28 Dec 2006, onboard Biman Bangladesh DC-10-30 Dahka-Jeddah-Rome. Jumpseat landing into Rome Fimicuino.
- 19 Jan, 2007, onboard Pakistan Int’l B747-240BM Hong Kong-Bangkok. Jumpseat landing into Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Int’l.
- 24 Mar, 2007, first time onboard Airbus A380 from Hong Kong to Hong Kong in a 2 hour media demonstration flight. Well before the A/C enter commercial service.
- 26 October, 2007, onboard World’s First A380 commercial flight from Sydney to Singapore (return leg) in Singapore Airlines Suites 3A. An ultimate flight in celebration style.
- 02 Feb, 2009, onboard the inaugural Emirates A380 from Sydney to Auckland and back on the same day, courtesy of Emirates to attend the inauguration flight and ceremony.
- 27 Mar 2010, as invited guest of Canberra Airport open day, onboard Historical Aircraft Restoration Society DC-3 and L1049 “Connie” between Canberra and Albion Park, Wollongong.
- 15 Aug 2010 Flown with Mount Cook Ski Planes in New Zealand with landing on Glaciers onboard Pilatus PC6 Porter.
- 1 Oct 2010 onboard the inaugural Emirates A380 from Dubai to Hong Kong via Bangkok in First Class Suite 2E. Shower/Spa @ 40000 feet!
- 7 Nov 2010 Spending 30th Birthday onboard Thai Airways A340-600 in First Class BKK-SYD with Vicki. Birthday dinner Lobster Thermidor @ 39,000 feet !
- 11 Jan 2011. After 13+ years. Re-locate from Australia to Abu Dhabi, UAE. Onboard Etihad Airways A340-642 in seat 1A!
- 16-17 April 2011 On my first trip to Nepal, sat behind the pilot from Kathmandu – Lukla –Kathmandu, experienced the world’s most dangerous airport approach and takeoff.
- 30 Oct 2011 Honeymoon flight with wife Vicki Wong onboard Air Tahiti Nui A340-300 LAX-PPT flight TN001. We received Goodwill upgrade by station manager Brian.
- 30 Dec 2011 Onboard EK318 from Dubai to Tokyo Narita, passed 2 million flying miles as passenger. This is also my last flight in the year of 2011.
- 6 April 2012 Onboard the last Singapore Airlines B747 flight (SQ 748) from Hong Kong to Singapore. Whole flight was in celebration mode!
- 28 April 2012 Onboard Iran Air B747-SP-86 Flight IR841 from Kuala Lumpur to Tehran, was invited to sit inside the cockpit as an observer for landing into Iman Khomeini Int’l (IKIA) and Capt Moghadam was so kind to push the plane to cruise at Mach 0.88 upon my request.
- 26 May 2012 Onboard ATI DC-8-62 Combi specially chartered by Jet Classic Tours for aircraft enthusiasts from Sacramento to Long Beach, USA.
- 11 June 2012 Onboard TG607 from Hong Kong to Bangkok, passed my 1000th Commercial flight.
- 20 to 27 Oct 2012, visited Democratic People Republic of Korea (DPRK) flew IL62M, IL76, IL18, Tu-134-B3 and Tu204-100 aircraft on an organised tour by Juche Travel Service.
- 1 Dec 2012, first time onboard Boeing 787 Dreamliner with Qatar Airways from Dubai to Doha and return the same day. It was definitely a game changer aircraft!
- 8-10 Dec 2012, On a trip to Pakistan, flew 7 out of 8 sectors inside the cockpit with PIA on A310, B777-200, ATR-42, B747-300 and B777-300. A personal highlight of the trip is flying ATR-42 across the snow capped mountains to Gilgit from Islamabad. The scenery was out of this world!
- 27 April 2013, onboard a special charter of Air Berlin A330-200 sightseeing flight flying over the North Pole from Berlin. A total flying time of 12 hours to Geographical North Pole 90N and circled across all time zones at the North Pole. Flew past amazing arctic sceneries of Arctic Circle and Greenland.
- 17 October 2013, have the honor to fly the longest flight in the world from Singapore non-stop to Newark in 18.5 hours onboard Singapore Airlines A340-500 all Business class jet. Returning on United Airlines Island Hopper from Honolulu to Manila with 7 stops across the Pacific in over 20 hours, two record set in one trip!
- January 2014, flew Avro RJ-100, Sukhoi Superjet 100, B747-8i new A/C types on a 5 day Marathon trip between Middle East, Europe and China including 2 amazing First Class flight with Lufthansa. Also passed 5,000 flying hours as a backseat passenger
- March 2014, successfully flew the Southern most Transpacific flight from Sydney to Buenos Aires with Aerolineas Argentinas A340-200 inside the cockpit and flew the Southern most Transatlantic flight from Buenos Aires to Johannesburg with South African Airways.
- June 2014, flew an African milk run from Dubai to Nairobi via Berbera and Mogadishu, Somalia onboard African Express MD-82 and DC-9-32. Observe landing/takeoff in cockpit with transit in infamous Mogadishu. The next day flew the oldest DC-9 and passenger jet in the world, 5Y-XXA, DC-9-14 with FLYSAX from Nairobi to Kisumu and back.
- July 2014, on an intensive 5 day flying trip, enjoyed Singapore Airlines A380 Suites, Japan Airlines B777-300/ER First Class, my first business jet experience onboard Cessna Citation CJ4 between Dusseldorf and Luxembourg. Also flew Saab2000 and Embraer 170 for the first time!
- 13 to 20 Sep 2014, visited Democratic People Republic of Korea (DPRK) second time flew IL62M, IL18, Mil-17 Tu-134B-3, An-24RV, An-148, Tu-154B-2 and Tu204-100 aircraft on an organised tour by Juche Travel Service.
- 23 Nov 2014, visited Iran and flew a special farewell sightseeing flight on Iran Air B747-SP, EP-IAC from Tehran to Tehran. Sat behind the pilots for landing into Mehrabad. Later in the afternoon flew Iran Revolutionary Guard An-74.
- 31 Dec 2014, on a special chartered Airbelin A320, landed in Longyearbyen, Svalsbard during Polar Night for new year eve celebration. Event organised by Airevents.
- 15 Jan 2015, onboard world’s inaugural A350 commercial flight with Qatar Airways from Doha to Frankfurt. Return from London to Abu Dhabi onboard Etihad new A380 apartment (First Class)
- 1 Feb 2015, onboard Etihad’s inaugural B787-9 commercial flight from Abu Dhabi to Dusseldorf and back in new First Class suite.
- 1-7 Oct 2015, successful completed Iran Aviation Tour with 23 participants. Flew Bae146-300, RJ85, RJ100, An-74, B727, A300 types in Iran.
- 20 Oct 2015, celebrated 4th wedding anniversary onboard Etihad A380 First Class Apartment with my wife Vicki. Received a special heart shaped cake from the crew.
- 7 May 2016, flew An-12, An-26, Yak-40, An-2 and Mil-2 aircraft types in Minsk, Belarus.
- 14 May 2016, onboard Air France B777-300/ER First Class “La Premiere”, possibly the world’s best first class and my finest flight experience.