To push the cost to its lowest, you need to buy exactly 150,000 miles in order to purchase 1.84 US cents/mile (235,000 AAdvantage Miles for $4,318.81)
Things to Note Before You Purchase Miles
- AAdvantage accounts must be more than 29 days old.
- A maximum of 150,000 miles can be purchased per calendar year in any one account.
Should I Buy Miles Now?
|Period||US Cents Per Mile|
|March to April 2019||1.92|
From the table above, you probably would have come to the conclusion that you should not use this chance to buy AAdvantage miles now. Nevertheless, I will not strongly advise against buying miles at 1.84 US cents/mile, you can still get a cheap First/Business Class ticket:
- One way between US and Asia on Cathay Pacific Business Class for 70,000 miles ($1,288)
- One way between US and Middle East on Qatar Airways Business Class for 70,000 miles ($1,288)
- One way between Europe and Middle East on Qatar Airways Business Class for 57,500 miles ($782)
- One way between Asia and Middle East on Etihad First Class for 50,000 miles ($920)
While there is a high probability that AAdvantage miles will be selling at 1.72 US cents again, I would not stop you from buying miles through this promotion. It is still a cheap First/Business Class ticket, especially when compared to the conventional way of booking a revenue ticket directly. Do note that it will be American Airlines that will be processing this transaction. It is advisable to use a credit card that gives you good miles for airfare purchases.