Although the Miles and Points game can be very rewarding, things can get pretty complex when there are so many promotions going on. I am sure that you may be lost at some point in time, so here is the summary of the latest Miles and Points deal that you should check out.
Compilation of On-Going Deals (Sorted by Expiry Date)
|Expiry Date||Loyalty Program||Promotion||Cost per mile/point|
|22nd September||Alaska Mileage Plan (Airlines)||40% bonus||2.11 US cents/mile|
|24th September||IHG Rewards Club (Hotel)||100% bonus||0.5 US cents/point|
|24th September||British Airways Executive Club (Airlines)||30% Bonus||2.12 US cents|
|30th September||American AAdvantage (Airlines)||35% discount||2.08 US cents|
|2nd October||Avianca Liftmiles (Airlines)||145% bonus||1.35 US cents|
|18th October||World of Hyatt (Hotel)||40% bonus||1.71 US cents|
|18th October||Marriott Bonvoy||30% discount||0.875 US cents|
|22nd October||Hilton Honors||100% bonus||0.5 US cents|
Here Are Some Sweet Spots For Each Deal
As a general rule of thumb, I will advise you to make a comparison between the selling price of your desired hotel/flight and the cost of redemption (redemption miles/points required * miles/points price) before you make any purchase. While every individual has his/her own valuation metric, I will highlight some sweet spots on each deal so that you can form a better judgement.
1)Alaska Mileage Plan at 2.11 US cents per mile (Ends on 22nd Sept)
Although Alaska Airlines does not belong to any airline alliance, it has its own partners where you can redeem flights at great value. Moreover, it comes with free stopovers where you can add two destinations in your itinerary. Here are some great ideas for redemption:
- Cathay Pacific First Class from US to Asia for 70k miles one way ($1,477 @ 2.11US cent per mile)
- Hainan/Cathay Pacific Business Class from US to Asia for 50k miles one way ($1,055 @ 2.11US cent per mile)
- Qantas Business Class from US to Australia for 55 k miles one way ($1,160.50 @ 2.11US cent per mile)
2)British Airways Executive Club at 2.12 US cents per mile (Ends on 30th Sept)
The best way to spend your British Airways Avios is to redeem Premium Cabin flights on Intra-Asia routes and Intra-Europe routes, as other options come with a high surcharge. Here are some of the sweet spots on which to redeem your British Airways Avios:
- Japan Airlines/Cathay Pacific Business Class Hong Kong to Tokyo for 22k miles one way ($466.40 @ 2.12 US cents). ~4 hours one-way Intra-Asia cost 22k miles.
- British Airways Business Class London to Frankfurt (1.5hrs) for 7,750 Avios at off-peak. ($164.30 @ 2.12 US cents)
3)American Airlines Aadvantage at 2.08 US cents per mile (Ends on 24th Sept)
Although American Airlines devalued their miles years ago, you can still unlock some great redemption on flights from partner airlines (including Oneworld airline members):
- Cathay Pacific/Japan Airlines Business Class US/Canada to Japan for 60k miles one way ($1,248 @ 2.12 US cents).
- Qatar Airways Business Class US to Africa for 75k miles one way ($1,590 @ 2.12 US cents).
Click here to purchase miles.
4)Avianca Lifemiles at 1.35 US cents per miles (ends on 2nd October)
With lifemiles, you have access to award space on Star Alliances airlines. Aviance is a member of the Star Alliances. Here are some redemption ideas for you:
- Thai Airways A350 Business Class Bangkok to London for 78k miles one way ($850.50 @ 1.35 US cents)
- Lufthansa B747 First Class From Frankfurt to New York for 87k miles one way ($1,174.50 @ 1.25 US cents)
1)IHG Rewards at 0.5 US cents per point (Ends on 24th Sept)
IHG often run PointsBreaks to redeem on hotel stays from as little as 5,000 IHG points. At this rate, you can snag PointBreaks hotels for as little as $25. Yes, you can score a hotel for just $25, no gimmicks! There are also PointsBreaks that require 10,000 and 15,000 IHG points; your effective cost per night staying at those properties will be $50 and $75 respectively, per night.
For example, The Intercontinental Sao Paulo is retailing at $278 + tax per night. This is a property under PointBreaks for 15,000 points per night, which means it will cost you $75 for a night’s stay if you buy the IHG points and use them for redemption. A huge savings indeed!
2)World of Hyatt at 1.71 US cents per point (Ends on 18th October)
One of the best way to use Hyatt points is to redeem top tier luxury/boutique hotels. Nevertheless, should you prefer mid-tier hotels, you should do your comparison between selling cost and redemption cost. Here are some ideas for you:
- Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills – Category 7 for 30k points ($513) or $1140.36 with cash.
- Park Hyatt Sydney – Category 7 for 30k points ($513) or $912.24 with cash.
*Selling price is quoted at the point of writing
3)Marriott Bonvoy at 0.875 US cents per point (Ends on 18th October)
If you love hotel brands like Ritz Carlton, W Hotels or Sheraton, this promotion is definitely for you. Here is an idea of how you can achieve insane savings through this promotion:
- Ritz Carlton Tokyo – Category 8 for $1846.80 with cash or 70k points ($612)
4)Hilton Honors at 0.5 US cents per point (Ends on 22nd October)
Should you be short of points to redeem your dream holiday in any Hilton property, you might not want to miss this promotion. This is the best promotion to purchase Hilton Points so far. Here is an example of how you can spend Hilton Points:
- Hilton London Park Lane for 80k points ($400) or $545 with cash.